Cell Phone: (518) 779-8045
Received: Ph.D. in Civil & Environmental Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, May 2017.
Received: B.S. in Engineering & Commerce, The University of Sydney, NSW, Austrailia, December 2009
While working under the shared guidance of Professor Letchford (Civil and Environmental Engineering) and Professor Amitay, Daniel had the great pleasure to learn from two experts in different fields. His research reflected this interdepartmental collaboration where he was able to use methods advanced in aerospace engineering in service to understand problems of interest to civil and environmental engineering. Under the guidance of Professor Amitay and Letchford, Daniel’s PhD – Influence of freestream and forced disturbances on the shear layer of a square prism – sort to understand the influence of random and controlled disturbances on the unsteady loading caused by the von-Kármán vortex street on square bluff bodies. More specifically, a fluidic jet was used to periodically excited the shear layers of a square prism. The perturbations influenced the evolution the shear layers, which in turn, influenced the formation and growth of the larger wake structures. Daniel’s research also explored the effectiveness of this control technique in the presence of high levels of freestream turbulence and therefore experimental investigations were conducted to understand the influence of small scale freestream turbulence on the development and evolution of the shear layers. This work observed a link between the altered dynamics of the shear layer transition and the formation of the von-Kármán vortex street shedding.
- Lander, D.C., Letchford, C.W., Amitay, M., Kopp, G.A. "The Influence of the Bluff Body Shear Layers on the Wake of a Square Prism in a Turbulent Flow." Physical Review Fluids, 2016 (in review).
- Letchford, C.W., Lander, D.C., Dyson, P., and Amitay, M., "Bio-mimicry Inspired Tall Buildings: The Response of Cactus-like Buildings to Wind Action at Renolds Number of 104." Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 150: 22:30, 2016.
- Menicovich, D., Lander, D.C., Vollen, J., Amitay, M., Letchford, C.W., and Dyson, A. "Improving Aerodynamic Performance of Tall Buildings using Fluid-based Aerodyanmic Modification." Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrail Aerodynamics, 133, 263-273, 2016
- Lander, D.C., Letchford, C.W., Amitay, M., and Kopp, G.A., "The Influence of Freestream Turbulence Approach Trajectory on the Bluff Body Aerodynamics of a Square Prism." 8th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics & Applications, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, June 7-11, 2016.
- Lander, D.C., Moore, D., Letchford, C.W., and Amitay, M., "Bluff Body Shear Layer Control of the 2D Square Prism Wake." 8th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics & Applications, Northeastern University, Boston, MA., June 7-11, 2016.
- Lander, D.C., Baker, J., Letchford, C.W., Amitay, M., and Kopp, G.A., "The Effect of Freestream Turbulence on Vortex Formation Wake of a Square Cylinder." 14th Internaional Conference on Wind Engineering, Porto Alegre, Brazil, June 21-26, 2015.
- Menicovich, D., Lander, D.C., Vollen, J., Amitay, M., Letchford, C.W., and Dyson, A., ""Improving Aerodynamic Performance of Tall Buildings Using Fluid-based Aerodynamic Modification: Preliminary Results." 12th Americas Conference on Wind Engineering, Seatle, WA, June 17-19, 2013.
- Cochard, S. and Lander, D.C., "A Wind-Tunnel Investigation of the Wake Behind a Wind-Turbine in a Turbulent Boundary-layer Flow." 17th Australian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, December 5-9, 2010.
- Lander, D.C., Berthaut, J. and Cochard, S., "Digital Correction of Pressure Signals for Vinyl Tubing Distortions." 14th Australian Wind Engineering Society Workshop, Canbera, Australia, August 5-6, 2009.